The Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures will allow you to consolidate your procedural knowledge and teach you the most advanced clinic-based procedures. The certificate course consists of three Advanced Workshops covering highly sought-after services in primary care: Joint Puncture and Soft Tissue Injections, Non-Scalpel Vasectomy and Intrauterine Systems.
Each Advanced Workshop can be completed individually or as part of the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures course.
|Advanced Certificate of
The Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures is suitable for medical professionals wishing to consolidate their procedural knowledge and become familiar with the latest office-based techniques, particularly regarding permanent male fertility control, IUD insertion and removal, and joint puncture and soft tissue injection techniques. The course is suitable for general practitioners and International Medical Graduates. The prerequisite for this course is the successful completion of the Professional Certificate of Clinical Procedures and assumes previous practical experience in clinical procedures. Participants who wish to receive a HealthCert Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures must complete all three Advanced Workshops: Joint Puncture and Soft Tissue Injections, Non-Scalpel Vasectomy and Intrauterine Systems.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Professionally accredited qualifications and prior studies may be
This course is designed for medical practitioners who wish to build on the knowledge gained from the Professional Certificate of Clinical Procedures course. There will be a greater focus on more advanced cases in Clinical Procedures with the use of simulated models.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Basic anatomical principles and their application
- Systemic, regional and clinical anatomy of joints and relevant soft tissues, the inguinal region, and the female genital tract
- Anatomical layers and dangers involved in specific procedures and management of complications (joint and soft tissue puncture, vasectomy, intrauterine system fitting)
- Specific conditions that require joint puncture and soft tissue injections
- Fitting and removing an IUS
- Non-scalpel vasectomy procedures
- Counselling and consultation prior to IUS, non-scalpel vasectomy and joint puncture procedures
- Complications that may occur with IUS, non-scalpel vasectomy and joint puncture procedures
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing clinical procedures techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Perform procedural techniques in a simulated environment and receive feedback
- Receive a printed learning journal and all presentation slides available for download.
- Receive complimentary access to Anatomedia, an online interactive learning program in anatomy, for eight weeks after attending the course, and benefit from a special rate for 12 months thereafter
- Receive unlimited and ongoing access to free alumni learning resources, video lectures, and discussion forums, as well as invite-only events and special offers after completion of the course
- Receive ongoing post-course support through webinars and case review
- Have the opportunity to participate in optional clinical attachments available at dedicated clinics (excludes Non-Scalpel Vasectomy workshop)
Friday evening: Joint Puncture and Soft Tissue Injections
This workshop can be completed individually or as stage 1 of the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures.
|6:00pm - 6:30pm||Registration|
|6:30pm - 7:30pm||Theory||Principles
Efficacy and Costing
|7:30pm - 7:45pm||Break|
|7:45pm - 9:45pm||Practical||
Saturday: Non-Scalpel VasectomyThis workshop can be completed individually or stage 2 of the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures.
|8:30am – 9:00am||Registration|
|9:00am – 10:30am||Session 1||
Introduction to non-scalpel vasectomy and anatomy
|10:30am – 11:00am||Morning tea|
|11:00am – 12:30pm||Session 2||
Non-scalpel vasectomy (part 1)
|12:30pm – 1:30pm||Lunch|
|1:30pm - 3:00pm||Session 3||Non-scalpel vasectomy (part 2)|
|3:00ppm - 3:30pm||Afternoon tea|
|3:30pm – 5:00pm||Session 4||
Post-op complications and follow-up care
Sunday: Intrauterine Systems
This workshop can be completed individually or as stage 3 of the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures.
|8:00am - 8:30am||Registration|
|8:30am – 10:00am||Session 1||
|10:00am – 10:30am||Morning Tea|
|10:30am – 12:00pm||Session 2||Copper IUD and IUS practical (part 1)|
|12:00pm – 1:00pm||Lunch|
|1:00pm – 2:30pm||Session 3||IUS practical (part 2) and case studies|
|2:30pm - 3:00pm||Afternoon Tea|
|3:00pm – 4:30pm||Session 4||Case studies (continued from session 3)|
Dr Gerard Ahern
Dr Raj Selvarajan
MBBS, MRCS(Ed), MRCGP, FRACGP
Course Director and Scalpel Free Vasectomist
Dr Raj Selvarajan is a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, a Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, and a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Following his training in non-scalpel vasectomy, Raj established No Scalpel Vasectomy Service in north-eastern England in 2007. He subsequently led a non-profit social enterprise organisation, NECHN, and set up non-scalpel vasectomy clinics in Tamworth, Midlands, UK and Leicester City, UK. As an experienced vasectomist, Raj peer-reviewed other non-scalpel vasectomy services in the UK. Specialising and innovating the scalpel free vasectomy technique, he is the lead trainer in Australia and operates Scalpel Free Vasectomy clinics in Brisbane and Mackay.
Dr Nelum Dharmapriya
MBChB(UK), MRCP, FRACGP
General Practitioner at Narangba Doctors, Queensland
Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, UK (DRCOG) 2000
Diploma of Family planning and Sexual Health Medicine, UK (DFFP) 2003
Obtained Letter of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques by FFPRHC, 2003
Regular Tuition Fee
Different payment options available.
Early Bird Rate
Register 30 days prior to the course commencement date.
$925 x 4
Defer your payments over several months.
FEES INCLUDE: The fees include the Advanced Workshops in Joint Puncture and Soft Tissue Injections, Non-Scalpel Vasectomy and Intrauterine Systems.
GP REGISTRARS: Doctors in training who are on a recognised pathway to General Practice Registration through a recognised training provider receive a HealthCert Scholarship of $300.
The Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures is designed as a face-to-face course supported by online materials. There are three advanced workshops and an online anatomy presentation that reviews and summarises the advanced anatomy needed for all three workshops. Course learning materials will be available for a minimum of 15 weeks. There will be pre-reading activities, an intensive weekend program with expert demonstrations and practical hands-on activities, online materials and further readings, individual assessment tasks and online assessment.
- Develop a one-page report/explanation of how you will use the learning from this course in your professional work.
- Compile a report listing the resource materials that you have collected to advance and apply your knowledge.
- 104 knowledge questions based on a scenario of a medical practitioner undertaking special interest training.
- 13 per module
Example: The medical practitioner believes that 10% of the population … Is he correct? Yes/No
- 13 per module
- 104 authentic scenario based questions based on cases of patient care at a clinic
- 13 per module
Example: A patient arrives at your clinic with this problem … What should you do? Multiple choice images based on patient cases.
- 13 per module
The examination questions are both knowledge- and application-based questions which are equally weighted. It is therefore not possible to pass this course on knowledge alone; knowledge must be successfully applied to patient cases in order to pass the course. The pass mark for online examinations is 80 per cent.
HealthCert recommends completion of the assessment at your convenience within three months of the completion of the course (or enrolling in the online course).
Upon successful completion of all three Advanced Workshops, participants will receive the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures and RACGP 80 Category 1 QI&CPD points + 7 Category 2 CPD points or ACRRM 66 PRPD + 30 MOPS points.
This advanced certificate:
- Provides CPD points from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).
- Provides PRPD points from the Australian Council of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM).
- Is recognised by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
recognisedby the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians (HKCFP). The HKCFP recognisesall courses endorsed by the RACGP. Points are calculated differently.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Dubai. The number of CPD points must be stated on the certificate. Please contact PLD@dhcr.gov.ae for more information.
- Is a self-submitted activity in the UK. CPD events overseas, applicable to a doctor’s scope of practice, may be submitted for revalidation. Please confirm with your Responsible Officer.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Canada through the College of Family Physicians of Canada. Category 1 points are reported as certified and Category 2 points are reported as non-certified. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Meets World Federation of Medical Education standards.
- Has been independently developed with subject specialists and does not receive education grants from any pharmaceutical company.
Postgraduate Diploma in Minor Surgery studied through the Rila Institute of Health Sciences and awarded by the University of Plymouth (UK).
There are three modules in the Postgraduate Diploma. Medical professionals who successfully complete the HealthCert Professional Certificate of Clinical Procedures and the Advanced Certificate of Clinical Procedures will be eligible to apply for Accreditation of Prior Certified Learning (APCL) for module 2.
The Postgraduate Diploma is mainly delivered online. No practical workshops will be required due to the APCL from the HealthCert qualifications. Overall there will be a time saving of 40 per cent of the postgraduate program due to the APCL. Exams will be held in Perth, Western Australia.
When the Postgraduate Diploma has been successfully completed, doctors can apply for credit from the Postgraduate Diploma to the Master of Science in the specialism awarded by the University of Plymouth.
Upcoming intake dates are 6 February 2019 and 24 September 2019. For more information please click here.
Certified Clinical Attachments Pathway
Clinical Attachments are optional and available on a 1:1 basis. These provide the opportunity to observe clinical procedures and ask questions of the expert performing the procedures. Clinical Attachments are available for Skin Cancer Surgery (only for graduates of the Professional Certificate of Clinical Procedures). These are available in Australia and overseas. The clinical attachments are 1:1 in Australia and they are in small groups at university teaching hospitals and clinics overseas. HealthCert certificates and university statements are awarded for participating in clinical attachments.